Reisterstown is a community in Baltimore County with a population of 25,968 as of the 2010 Census.
Founded by German immigrant John Reister in 1758, it is located to the northwest of the county. John Reister purchased 20-acres which he called “Reister’s Desire”, along the Conewago Road on March 2, 1758. He built a tavern on the site, providing food, drink, and lodging for travelers. Other businesses serving travelers soon followed, creating the settlement known as Reister’s Town, and eventually Reisterstown. With the purchase of another 83 acres adjoining the original property in 1763, Reister began developing both sides of Conewago Road, later renamed Reisterstown Road.
Though it is older than the areas surrounding it, it now serves primarily as a residential suburb of Baltimore. The center is designated the Reisterstown Historic District and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
* (Data courtesy of Wikipedia)
Owings Mills is a community in adjacent to Reisterstown, MD and has a population of 30,622 as of the 2010 Census.
Many nationally known organizations and businesses call Owings Mills home. CareFirst, T. Rowe Price, The Baltimore Life Companies, Black & Decker, and the Baltimore Ravens team headquarters facility. Maryland Public Television studios (formerly the Maryland Center for Public Broadcasting) are located here. A large manufacturing complex, dating back to 1926 as the site of Maryland Baking Company, and then starting in 1957 the business succession of Maryland Cup (see Sweetheart Cup Company), the Fort Howard Paper Corporation (see Georgia-Pacific), and finally ending with Solo Cup Company, which closed the plant in 2011. In 2015, the property started redevelopment into a shopping complex, named Foundry Row. The first store to open in Foundry Row was Wegmans, which launched in September 2016. ( Data courtesy of Wikipedia)
In 2008, CNNMoney.com named Owings Mills number 49 of the “100 Best Places to Live and Launch.” Owings Mills is home to around a dozen major shopping centers and numerous office buildings.
Glyndon is a community connected to Reisterstown as well. It was founded in 1871 by Dr. Charles A. Leas, the village is located in the northwest section of Baltimore County and is primarily a residential suburb of metropolitan Baltimore City.
Glyndon is listed on the National Register of Historic Places (1973) and on the Maryland Inventory of Historic Properties (1973); the Glyndon Historic District was also designated as the first historic district in Baltimore County (1981).
Glyndon still maintains much of the charm it had as a Victorian summer village over 100 years ago. The arrival of the Western Maryland Rail Road in 1860 promoted the early location and growth of Glyndon. Affluent Baltimore families acquired summer homes in early Glyndon to escape the heat of the city. The proximity of the railroad to Glyndon allowed easy commuting for the businessmen to their jobs in the city some 25 miles away.
A small business district grew up around the railroad station to service the needs of Glyndon’s growing population. (Data courtesy of Wikipedia)